Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fun evening at Just Folk!

Last night I headed on down to Summerland to Just Folk for the opening night fete of the
Bill Traylor Unfiltered show. Just Folk recently acquired 28 of his works and they are now on display in their light filled upstairs gallery. Traylor was born a slave and only began his art career in his 80's, selling his drawings and paintings to locals for 25 cents each. Now they are worth thousands. A great collection so close to home, worth a visit if you are in the neighborhood.
For the opening there was a great swing band playing outside on the porch, delicious appetizers all evening, and special adult beverages with wine being served in little mason jars. I had fun meeting folks from all over- New York, San Francisco, L.A. and the authors of the above book on Bill Traylor came from New York to share their insights on Bill's life and work. A really fun evening for all.

Some of Bill Traylor's works...

Below are works of folk art by others artists....

Had to include some of the wonderful quilts in their collection for the fiber people out there...



And a fun little Howard Finster in the bookshelf!

6 comments:

Tara's Art Camp said...

What a great place, I wish we had something like that here in Seattle, none that I know of.

I especially like that little guy painting, I wonder who painted him?

Love your new blog colors!

Beth Anderson said...

Wow!
Thanks for sharing!

Syd said...

Glad you got to go..I will make a point to get there and see the work. Is the guy a Moses piece?

Marie said...

I love "outsider folkart" !
So inspirational and what fun
to go see! Thanks for sharing!

mimi k said...

I would love to be able to see this artwork in person. I have a little photo of one of his pieces that has been in my scrapbook for years- a lady with an umbrella. Thanks so much for showing more!

not so zen -quilts in Paris said...

thank you for showing these antique quilts, the log cabin is breathtaking! Will V in Paris