Monday, May 31, 2010

Working in Ventura

This is a little page from a journal I am working on for a class offering...
On Saturdays you will find me working the register at our plumbing and hardware store in Ventura. I talked my husband into buying these owls for the store and this one has been for there for over a year. I think we sold a few but I like having this one for a mascot, at least until we get our "store cat". Our last cat was inherited from the previous owner and lived until he was 20 years old. I have friends with kittens and am waiting until they are ready to be pampered by the folks who come in every day.
The store closes at 5pm on Saturdays which gives me just enough time to drive over to Main St. in old town Ventura and check out the thrift stores. This one is my favorite...couldn't resist a photo of the odd window. Anyone need mannequin parts?
Downtown Ventura-Main Street.
Oh dear! This is my very messy work table. I now have it partially cleaned up. I have little areas for different things. Sewing machine on the end. Wool stripping on the side. Paint and glue on the other side and at least 3 or 4 pin cushions! I am in the process of cleaning out and organizing my art room. Going through all the boxes of fabric and paper and art supplies- a daunting task but needs to be done. If I do a little bit each day I can make some progress, but still it's a bit overwhelming at times and I start a new project anyway. On Sunday the boys went fishing and I got a good start on my art piece for Art From Scrap. Today I'm off to the grocery store and down to the beach for a walk. Hope you all had a good 3 day weekend.

4 comments:

Hazel Terry said...

Your journal looks fab, I am trying to find a book it reminds me of, need more time, I will be in touch soon.x

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love your work table photo ~ makes me feel like I'm in good company! And the journal cover looks great ~ everything you do looks great!!

Tara's Art Camp said...

Love this post. And, I love this journal. Good luck!!!! I think we find out next week, fingers crossed.

xo...

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

I've always been drawn to hardware stores. I go right to the scrub brushes and whisk brooms, then check out the wire and save the best for last. Furniture polish with beeswax. Can only find it there.
lucky you!
xx